Over the last few weeks I have been on the hunt for a premium descriptive domain to purchase and build upon.
SEO is still king
I studied a hundred or more startup success stories and they almost all had one thing in common: SEO.
SEO was the foundation for almost all of these startups. Twitter audiences, communities, etc. were all channels too, of course, but every single one had significant SEO value. Some were very intentional about it and others it was accidental.
My criteria for a new domain was:
- Niche with strong keyword opportunities with low difficulty
- An obvious business model should I succeed at SEO
- Less than $1k
- Ideally, some prior backlinks to build on top of
Enter the perfect domain.
As you well know, I am a product manager and product team leader. I have spent the last 10+ years leading B2B software product teams.
When I firs left my full-time job as a product manager to pursue my own company, one of the first problems I noticed was a lack of PM-specific hiring resources. There were training resources, but no career development or job boards focused strictly on the PM role.
That's when Product Manager Jobs was born. I scooped up the domain productmanagerjobs.com for $318 on GoDaddy Auctions as a buy-it-now offer.
Over the next 2 days, I spent 8 hours standing up a WordPress-based job board.
I tweeted the entire process here:
So what's the plan?
- Get the site to rank for some keywords to generate some traffic.
- Then begin selling premium listings to hiring managers looking to hire Product Managers.
Stay tuned for updates along the way.